This belt drive is designed to be simple & compact, while retaining the quill drive function. These machines are well known for the problematic gear boxes & motors. The BF16 style machine is well suited to small, high RPM cutting. This belt drive will make your machine quieter.
This kit has parts in common with the Brushless motor version we sell - so you can upgrade to that motor at a later stage, but you will need a new pulley & motor plate (available separately).
The pulleys are sized to give a 0.7 reduction on the standard motor - giving increased torque and limiting the max speed to about 4000rpm (based on 5600rpm stock motor speed).
New Quill & Spindle bearings are recommended for lower friction running:
Quill Drive: Replace with Nachi Shielded 6007ZZE & 6209ZZE.
The belt drive should be compatible with the following machines:
MT2 Spindle: Replace with 2x 7005 angular contact bearings (requires bearing spacer)
SPG 2217-16 LV
May also fit Optimum BF16 - check diagram below.
Can be shipped internationally: shipping is $35 USD to anywhere in the world. Email: mark(at)hmsnz.co.nzfor more info.
To check compatibility, take measurements of the points below and compare them to the numbers. If they are different by more than 1mm, problems will arise with installation
See images for compatibility diagram. Measure max & min distance between holes to find the average.
- Remove the optical timing disk, motor plate, gear shafts & gears. Clean the quill drive area where the timing disk used to be.
- Install the new base blocks.
- Use a heat source (blowtorch/heatgun) to heat the large spindle pulley. Align the 2 holes and sit the pulley. Use a gloved hand to apply force if needed. Secure with the provided screws.
- Install the motor pulley on the motor and secure with the grub screw. Attach motor to motor plate.
- Wrap the belt around the spindle, then wrap around the motor pulley. Sit motor in position.
- Make sure the belt is horizontal. Adjust the motor pulley up or down to adjust for any mis-alignment. If the motor shaft interferes with the head preventing it to sit freely, file/grind/sand the shaft until it sits free from the head.
- When happy with alignment, semi-secure motor to head. Push motor backwards with some force, enough to remove belt slop. The belt should feel quite tight.
Standard shipping is 7-14 Day Untracked